I'm a student of philosophy in the broadest sense of the term; I'm uncredentialled and at the moment unmatriculated. I do have academic ambitions, but I'm also critical of the institutions that make philosophy almost exclusively a professional affair. In my view every thinking being is born into the mysteries that provoke philosophy, and I regard it as unfortunate that the average person feels unqualified to approach them directly.
Ϯ
A friend of mine, the meta-ethicist Muad'Dib Kenobi-Seagull, has kindly offered to tutor me in some key texts in the philosophical tradition. We are to begin with Descartes' Meditations; then move on to selections from Kant's First Critique; and then on to Husserl. I have foundered on the waters of phenomenology for years, and Muad'Dib has offered to throw me a line and tow me safely into the channel. It is a generous offer, and I hope someday to have occasion to repay the kindness. I will be posting here on topics that arise in our working through these texts.
I believe we are also covering Hume.
ReplyDelete